Komenda College of Education was established on the premises of the barracks left by the Fleet Airforce of the British Navy after the second World War.
The barrack was set on the Assai Hill, on the outskirts of Komenda town. Through the efforts of Mr. A. B. Sam, the then regent of Komenda, the legacy was leased to the Methodist Church Ghana in 1947 to be used as a Methodist Teacher Training College. The Government of Ghana later renovated the buildings to make the old barracks suitable for academic work.