ESTABLISHMENT OF THE COLLEGE
THE KOMENDA COLLEGE OF EDUCATION was established on the premises of the barracks left by the Fleet Airforce of the British Navy after the second World War.
The barracks was set on the Assai Hill, on the outskirts of Komenda town. Through the efforts of Mr. A. B. Sam, the then regent of Komenda, the legacy was leased to the Methodist Church Ghana in 1947 to be used as a Methodist Teacher Training College. The Government of Ghana later renovated the buildings to make the old barracks suitable for academic work.
On 11th March, 1948, the first batch of students of forty men were enrolled to start an initial 2-Year Teachers’ Certificate “B” Programme. In 1952, the College became a Co-Educational Institution with its first batch of thirty women. It was established as Komenda Training College but has presently become Komenda College of Education per the Government’s Policy to upgrade Teacher Training Colleges into Colleges of Education. The first Principal of the College was Mr. Lawrence Alfred Creedy, a British national. The motto of the College is “Bep4wso Kurow Hyer1n”, meaning a city set on a hill, shines forth. M.H.B. 577 is the College hymn.
The three core values adopted by the founding fathers were; Academic Excellence | Service to God | Service to Mankind The College has offered the following academic programmes; 2-Year Cert “B” | 4-Year Cert “A” | 2-Year Cert “A” | 3-Year specialist 2-Year Modular Course | 3-Year Cert “A” (Post Sec) 4-Year (Untrained Diploma in Basic Education) | 3-Year Diploma in Basic Education | 2-Year Sandwich Diploma
Currently the College offers 4 – year Bachelor of Education programmes in Early Childhood, Primary Education and JHS- Agricultural Science, Mathematics/ Science, Mathematics/ ICT, Home Economics, Technical and Visual Arts.
The College is noted for its discipline, academic excellence and holistic training. Graduates of the College “shine” everywhere they go. In the light of this, we aim at always improving the quality of teaching and learning so as to keep high standards.